Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another Musing Monday

Once again from Just One More Page... it is time for Musing Mondays.

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about new authors…

What is your policy when it comes to new authors? Do you feel comfortable purchasing a book or do you prefer to borrow new authors from the library? How often do you 'try out' a new author?

As someone who very much hopes to one day be a new author with her book sitting on the shelf of your local Borders or Barnes and Noble I, of course, have to say that it is very important to give new authors a chance.

Now to be completely honest I do get 98% of my books from the library, and it is quite a different thing to get a book you might not like for free, compared to shelling out ten or twenty dollars for it only to realize at page 50 that you cannot bear to read another page.

However, when I do have a few spare dollars, or even better, a lovely gift card - I am cautious about what I buy and try to make sure I will enjoy the book I purchase.

But instead of only staying with authors that I know, the way I gauge whether a book I am about to spend money on will be something that I enjoy is simply by: reading reviews, following the star guides on the major book selling sites, and the first page test. The first page test can tell you a lot about a book, but most importantly it tells me if I will want to flip to the next page and the one after that. There have been many times where I've been in the middle of a bookstore with a book in hand as the first page test turns into the first ten pages test just because I can't put the book down.

These days with a toddler who wants to play hide and seek in the aisles or pull books from the shelves, it is difficult to find the time to stroll through the bookstore, picking up whatever catches my eye and flipping through it, so I really enjoy the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon for this last one.

Finally, my one reason for not just sticking with authors I already have read and enjoyed is that no book is a sure thing. Yes, if I love an author I will search try to search out every book they've written, and make a point of marking their new releases on my calender. But a a book by an author you love also has to live up to their previous books and your expectations... and sometimes they don't. In fact, in my January reading round-up two of the books I read were by authors who I really love, but their latest books were disappointments for me, while the other books I read that month from new authors were the standouts.

What about you? Do you stick with the tried and true, or prefer to check out something new?

16 comments:

  1. Fortunately I haven't had any fave authors let me down. Thanks fir visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the first page isn't usually enough for me to make a decision. But, surely, a chapter would do.

    Congrats on your short story BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all kinds of books...by both new authors and my old favorites. I typically get books from the book store and I usually read a chapter or so before I buy it. Since I am working hard to get my YA story reped, I am reading a lot of YA right now...more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about a favorite author sometimes letting you down. It's happened to me before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I also get 99% of my books from the library. I don't really have the money to spend on a new book. But if I can squeeze out enough for one I usually go for one I already know. Have a great day!!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always willing to try something new. I'll be a new author one day and will hope people take a chance on me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your wrote this -- it echoes so many of my own feelings -- the caution that you don't want to "screw up" when buying a book. My husband feels he can make up his mind within the first few pages whether he wants to read a book, but I tend to be a little more generous and give a few chapters. I don't think I would have finished "Life of Pi" if I didn't keep going -- it took a while for me to get into it! And I hope to someday be reading one of your books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I heavily use the library bringing home new authors is much easier for me too. Last year I read a book by a favorite author and hated it! But gave him a chance with his next one and it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I'm so picky about what I read, I actually look for debut novels to purchase.

    If I really, really like their work, I will purchase their following works. If I'm just so-so with it, I'll check it out at the library.

    This is a great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I take chances on reading new authors all the time. The last five books I read were from authors I have never read before and I was pleasantly surprised by their work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm one to try new authors. If the book catches my eye and I like the premise, I buy. For new authors sometimes I'll check reviews, but sometimes not. I'll also check recommendations from readers I trust.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried and true when I'm really needing a good read. New authors when I'm feeling frisky! ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seek out authors I love. If I read one book by an author which delights me, I will go to Amazon and buy their whole backlist, if possible.

    I won't buy 15 books at once from a new author, but I will try a new author just based on back blurb (and sometimes -- guilty truth -- cover art). Then, if I like it, they become a fave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a commitment this year to buy one book a month. It's March and I've done 2 books. That's more books than I bought all last year [not including Christmas when I had a GC and bought 3 new books, new authors]

    Hmm. I'm likely to stick to my faves when buying. BUT, the three paper backs I bought at Christmas were new authors--ads that I'd seen on line. So, really, I guess I haven't been buying long enough to say as a habit. :) My favorites have disappointed me... but the ratio is the same on new authors. sometimes they disappoint. what can you do? Donate to your local library!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be bummed if I have 20 bucks for something that is not game. That's another reason I am very careful with hardbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are only a few authors I read consistently, so mostly it's all new authors at the bookstore for me.

    I LOVE the first page test. Usually the back cover sells me the book but if I'm on the fence it's the first page I turn to for help :) It tells you enough about the authors writing style to get a definate "no" if there will be one.

    ReplyDelete