Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Work in Progress Wednesday #16

Howdy to everyone and welcome to another Work in Progress Wednesday!

After last weeks accomplishment high this week has been a little less exciting.

Yes, I've gotten things done and have made progress on my revisions, but it is slow going and I am still fighting the pregnancy tiredness monster. (Although to be fair to my unborn child, my tiredness could also be due to my inability to even think about going to bed before midnight, despite the fact that I have a toddler waking me up at disgustingly early hours, which in case you're wondering this is defined as anytime before 10 AM. This is also why I compose my WIP Weds. posts on Tuesday night, because if I did them early Weds. morning they would read something like this: "Go away. I do not like you. I do not like the world. It is too early. Leave me alone.")

Anyway, I am in the midst of Chapter 6, which used to be Chapter 5 until I chopped Chapter 4 in half. Confused yet? It is very tedious to halve chapters early in the MS, because this meant that I had to go back and change the number on all my subsequent chapters, all the way up to what used to be 28 and is now 29.

Other than that I have nothing else to report, so this is a short one for me. However, I will be posting again later today with another blog chain topic - this one discussing the question of having romantic relationships in books.

In the meantime if you want to participate in WIP Wednesday, simply post your own WIP Wednesday entry on your blog and leave a link to it in the comments below. Or if you don't have a blog, feel free to report your progress directly into the comments box.

For more detailed information concerning what all this nonsense is about please consult the original Work in Progress Wednesday posting.

Feel free to also make use of the lovely little WIP Wednesday logo as well!

12 comments:

  1. I heard something about being able to do a page break between chapters so that no matter what you change, each chapter will stay on their little thingy. I have no clue how to do that though. Also, I've had to change numbered chapters alot. It's a pain.
    And I'm up at six in the morning thanks to my lovely children. Grrrr. I can barely see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great progress for having to fight the tiredness monster! This stage in your life is just one of taking it slow and steady. (And getting in naps whenever you can!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been tired too, but I have no excuse. :)
    As a result, I haven't been able to get any work done at night--or much reading for that matter!

    But I did make some GREAT progress on my own wip this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh. I'm the same way when it comes to going to bed before midnight and waking up early. I hate that I have to be at work at 8am. I am rarely productive before 10am or so.

    Hope the pregnancy is going well. And since I only recently began following your blog... Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! My posts would look like that too. But progress is good, even if it's chopping a chapter in half for OCD reasons. *wink* :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like great progress to me. ANd oh I can't wait to read your blog later today, you have totally whet my appetite! Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hop over to . . .

    http://scott-awritersblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/work-in-progress-wednesday_9582.html

    . . . for my WIP update. It's been a fairly productive week.

    Some tech knowledge - to do a hard page break in Word, hold down the CTRL key and hit ENTER. This should make it so that the formatting isn't messed up during the editing process.

    I've had to do the change chapter thing a number of times. I'm to the point now where I don't number the chapters until I'm absolutely sure things are going to stay where they are, and that I'm not going to insert a chapter willy-nilly. Hey, it happens.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  8. A neat trick author James Dashner taught me was to number my scenes rather than put them in chapters. Then you can shift and move them without having to re-number everything. When you think you've got the scene order down pretty good, then you separate them into chapters. Plus it's easier to search and find #24 than go to chapter 12 and scroll for the middle scene smashed between 2 others.

    I'm impressed you got anything done with the pregnancy tiredness.

    I actually made some progress the last week. Yea! Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica - Up at six am? OMG, I thought it was bad when my little guy was whining at 8:30, but you've got me beat!

    Jody - Thanks, and you're right - slow and steady is the exact speed I'm at right now!

    Jennifer - So glad to hear about the great progress you've made on your WIP!

    Shorty - Thanks on the congrats! And I totally hear you on the productivity levels prior to 10AM:)

    Elana - LOL, yeah the OCD tendencies did get the better of me on that one!

    T.Anne - Ooh, good glad to hear you're interested in the topic - I agree - it is a good one!

    Scott - Whooo! Thanks for the tech tip - I am totally going to use that. That's a good idea to wait until the end to # your chapters, but I think I would not be able to resist just because I like to know how many I have.

    Jaime - Numbering scenes instead of chapters, also a good tip! I've never thought of that before! Thanks for the idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! I'd love to read an early morning blog post someday.

    I also am incapable of going to bed before midnight, sometimes before 2, and I gotta get up at 7:30. Curse the business world's hours!

    I don't even break my novels into chapters. I know how much I move stuff around, so I never know the order or the breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your description of the potential early morning post...HYSTERICAL!!! Can't wait to read your blog chain post. Andthe tired thing...I have multiple kids, trust me - it is never going away until they move out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie - I am with you in cursing the business world hours - it is clearly biased against the night owls of the world!

    Christine - Nooooo!!! Don't tell the I have 18+ years of tiredness ahead of me! Maybe I just need to train them to be late-nighters too;)

    ReplyDelete