Sunday, October 19, 2008

Word Count Meter

For a very long time now I have dreamed of having a word count meter of my very own, and to have that visual representation of my writing progress. Not only have I coveted the word count meters of other writers, I have even gone so far as to believe that true happiness may lie within having a word count meter of my own.

Finally, after ten minutes of googling, I have made my silly silly silly (yes three sillies!) dream a reality.

Behold.


32000 / 100000 words. 32% done!

Isn't it beautiful? Don't you love how it gives a percentage too?! It makes things so official.

I will try to update my progress periodically, probably whenever I remember.

In the meantime if you want one your own bit of instant happiness - try looking here.

8 comments:

  1. I have also been eyeing those dang word count meters.Now thanks to you, I think I will try and add my own, since I just started a new WIP last night!

    :) Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know in the beginning how long your book will be? Or are you aiming for a set word count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri - Yeah - glad I could be of help!

    Sandra - Yeah, that is just my estimated word count - in the end it might be a bit over or under, but 100K is my best estimate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I will try one of those things, too. Thanks for posting, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE--and LIVE--to see that little word meter progress move. To the right. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the dreaded word count meter - love it when it's moving - curse it when I'm stalled :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing the leg work :-)
    I've added it to my blog. My local writers group is doing JANO and I wanted to be able to track my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the subject of Word Count Meters, I just wanted to shamelessly plug the new spiffy Word Meter I just wrote over at Critique Circle.

    It's very simple to use and highly customizable.

    Check it out here:

    http://www.critiquecircle.com/wordmeterbuilder.asp

    I hope this helps :-)

    ReplyDelete