Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Work In Progress Wednesday #008

I'm back! Really back. Like my Internet is up and working again kind of back and I am sitting in my crappy desk chair instead of Panera's back.

Actually my Internet's been back up since last Friday, but I've been too busy trying to catch up on everyone else's blog postings that I missed (thank goodness for Google Reader, I don't know how else I would have kept track of them all) to write any of my own.

Anyway, it is once again Work in Progress Wednesday. And I am so over rewrites. Well, at least the Level 1 round of rewrites.

Although I am only a bit less than halfway through my Level 1 rewrites, I have officially hit the point where I have zero perspective on my story, and I really need to get it out to beta readers and critters who can give me some kind of feedback.

Right now I am at the, "I am pretty sure this is poorly written horrible crap that no one in their right mind would want to read" stage.

It's not a good stage.

Although it is at least more realistic than the, "Oh boy, I can't wait until Steven Spielberg decides to buy the movie rights and he tells me that directing the movie version of my book will be the crowning jewel of his career" stage.

So anyway, my plan is to plow through the rest of my Level 1 rewrites by the end of the week (actually the end of the week for me is Thursday night, because on Friday morning I leave for sunny Palm Springs California for a lovely Easter weekend with the in-laws. And after the disgusting white frozen stuff falling from the sky today, it is a trip that is much needed), and start getting some feedback that will hopefully help me become a little more centered between these two polar opposite stages.

I also have to soon start chipping away at that beast known as the query letter and have fiddled around with a few ideas. Since I have so far on my blog only talked about my WIP in the most vague terms possible (details given for those not keeping track: Title: Between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea Genre: Urban Fantasy) I thought I would post here what I have so far, not so much for criticism (although if you have any feel free to share, cause goodness knows I could use it) but more to share a little bit about the story that I have been blathering on about for 008(!) WIP Wednesdays.

Blue always expected her sins to catch up with her. She just didn't know it would be today.

All Blue wants is to survive the New Year's Eve wedding between her ex-boyfriend and evil half-sister. However, survival becomes more difficult when a bracelet she stole during one of her house-cleaning jobs, won't come off her wrist.

It turns out the bracelet is more than a pretty piece of silver - it's a tag used to identify demons. As the daughter of a serial killer Blue isn't exactly surprised to find out she might be less than human, however the truth turns out to be even more complicated.

Now in between fighting her attraction to the half-demon creator of thetag who's trying to protect her, dealing with the woman who took over hell and is trying to kill her, and two Christian demon-fighters who want to remove one of her eyes to save her - Blue needs to find out what is going on and who she can trust if she's going to see the new year.

With nothing and everything to lose, she finds herself Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.



Again this is very very rough. Like I just need to get the OMG this is so horrible version out of my system first, and then I can move onto something with a little less suck in it.

Okay, that's it from me for this week. Now you tell me how is your WIP coming along?

And if you want to participate in WIP Wednesday, simply post your own WIP Wednesday entry on your blog and leave a link to it in the comments below.

Or if you don't have a blog, feel free to report your progress directly into the comments box. For more detailed information concerning what all this nonsense is about please consult the original Work in Progress Wednesday posting.

Feel free to also make use of the lovely little WIP Wednesday logo as well!

20 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! Hope you're settling into your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great Easter!
    Your story sounds great! You just have to shorten it, but at least I could follow it and get the gist of the plot, stakes, etc.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you change your character's name?
    I'm moving like a turtle. But its been hectic lately. Next week, I am on a mission to write a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a bad place to be (the 'this is crap' stage)! For me that is usually followed by the ''h well, I've written this much-what am I going to do, throw it away? Might as well finish!' stage.

    Good luck on plowing through! (And the query letter... ugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're up and running again! I'm definitely interested in your story from that. It's very intriguing! Enjoy the sunshine! (It snowed here a bit last night too... I think mother nature's sleeping on the job.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody - Aw, thanks! I'm glad to be back!

    Jessica - Oh, good, if you can follow the story than I'm doing something right, I guess.

    Jennifer - Yeah, I changed her name. Actually, it was the original name that I changed early on, so really this is just a changing back.

    Matt - Thanks for visiting! Yes, I am definitely going to finish - you're right, throwing it away is NOT an option.

    Janyece - Oh, no - you got the snow too? I think mother nature is just confused... and with snow in April, I am too:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story sounds great! My own WIP is in beta reading mode right now and I'm receiving feedback.

    It's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I gave you an award over on my blog...maybe that will get you out of your hilarious stage of level one rewriting. You make me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an interesting story idea. Whenever I start to think that I've heard of everything out there and I could never possibly come up with something original, it's great to see someone else with an idea that's not only unique but seems to have lots of potential. My WIP is...slowly in progress. Well, something is better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your synop sounds great. and since I've read some of the story, I can say, whoooot! Can't wait to get a glimpse of the query.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! That sounds incredible. I want to read it.

    Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have a restful Easter. Your story sounds awesome and can't wait to read it. My post is up
    here

    but you already knew that. :)

    Good luck with your rewrites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "So Right now I am at the, "I am pretty sure this is poorly written horrible crap that no one in their right mind would want to read" stage."...

    OMG that is where I am after lots of agent feedback on my ms!!!

    Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LG - Yeah, beta mode can be painful, but at least you have a better idea of where you stand. I think that is what I am kind of hungry for right now.

    Elana - Oh! I saw the award! Thank you so much. I will have to do a blog posting with my official acceptance and passing of the torch before I leave for Easter.

    Cindy - Oh, thanks. I hope the idea is original enough! And I agree, slowly is always better than nothing!

    Bethanne - That's right, you are on of the few to see the raw first draft of the first half. Next time you see it, the whole thing should be more put together.

    Kat - Aw, thanks for the welcome back!

    Robin - Happy Easter to you too!

    Christine - Oh, no - don't let the agent feedback get you down. As long as you are getting some sort of feedback from them, I consider that a good sign. Better than form rejections anyway.



    Robin -

    Christine -

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a bad start on the query, but probably not close to your final version at all.

    It's a lot like my first version actually :)

    It's far too long and has way too much premise, though it reads well for a reader. Just not an agent. Your query sounds like something that would go on the back of the published novel. So it's good, just not right.

    In an effort to spare you my experience of writing 20 query versions, I suggest heading over to Nathan Bransford's Query MadLib post. Fill out the basics he asks for, then add flourish. And always, always, ask yourself why the reader should care about your story and your character. What makes your novel spectacular and one of a kind?

    Good luck! Hope your road to a good query is shorter than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back to the Internet! I think I forgot to post my link yesterday. http://ulbrichalmazan.blogspot.com/2009/04/work-in-progress-wednesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooohh.. the plot sounds good. Definitely unique, which is always a good thing. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your blurb! I can't wait to see the response you get. I just love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kate!

    Just wanted to say I love the idea of Work in Progress Wednesdays. I am a children's writer and found your blog through a link from Michelle McLean's blog which I found through Querytracker.net. I just started my own blog and am going to use this idea starting tomorrow. I was going to blog about my writing process anyway & thought this would be a great title to use. I'll provide a link back to my entry when I'm finished writing it. Glad you started this!

    Btw, your story sounds VERY intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crystal - Thanks for visiting and joining in WIP Weds. - can't wait to read your post!

    ReplyDelete